Are we attracted to each other?
It struck me last night, during an online Webinar on ‘selling your own books online’ (or something to that effect, a link the what I didn’t buy – link), that I need to attract people to me on the ‘interweb’. I need to pool myself some readers, followers, like-minded individuals.
Then… WordPress 101 tells us, for our next assignment, to attract the kind of readers you want for your blog. So I say,
“OK universe, I get the message“.
The rest of this blog is dedicated to the kinds of readers I’d like to attract; the dilettante writers, the forgiving readers, the wanna-be-part-of-something-novel – anything-goes kind of person, I wanna put myself out there and go-for-it person. I want a community and a place of camaraderie not competition.
“We’re in this together!”
So without further ado I tell you the topic of the rest of this blog –
I‘m writing a book for charity. The working title is ‘The Chance Story‘.
- I’ve written two works of fiction in my life – two ~50K drafts, both off the back of NaNoWriMo, 2013, and 2014.
- The 2013 experience was amazing, and I got so much understanding from the process of writing novels I took on board a charity book project for a woman I met in Canada for NaNo_2014.
- Her story has been dramatised by me into a 50K draft with the intention of getting it good enough to sell it to raise money for the charity for the condition she has.
- I’ve never edited a novel before – “Ooh, fun!” I keep telling myself (I am used to editing scientific papers and the one massive PhD thesis I wrote)
- Last November/December I took a five two-hour session paid creative writing course (and missed one) towards the end of writing my first draft of the book and it shows how novel I am to writing novels (I feel like I should re-write the whole book already, but I won’t).
- I think have have worked out a strategy for handing the 50K-word draft so I can structurally edit it and move chapters and scenes around.
- I’ve just registered as a Freelance Science Communications Writer with Her Majesty’s government (in the UK) so I can earn a bit of money to live on. https://twitter.com/Paraphyso/status/552794265286606851
- I am just winging it. (A great article on ‘winging it’)
Pleased to meet you, whoever and wherever you are.